Take Action on Local Return to #makeLAcity Streets Safe, Equitable, & Active

Today is Mobility Monday! Please take action today by emailing, tweeting, or sharing our social media to make sure that the Transportation Committee knows you want to #makeLAcity a safe place to bike and walk. Together we can eliminate traffic fatalities in Los Angeles!

 

MMLA-logo-for-Local-Return.jpg

After taking action today for #MobilityMondayLA, join us on Wednesday, March 29, at 12:45 p.m. in L.A. City Hall Room 1010, when the Transportation Committee (T-Com) will discuss how to spend Measure M local return dollars. RSVP here.

Measure M ensures sustained funding for walking and biking projects in L.A. County, and sets aside local return money which cities can use to improve bike lanes, sidewalks, crosswalks, and much more.

The City of Los Angeles will soon receive about $50 million dollars annually from Measure M local return. We need you to tell City Council to spend that money on projects that create safer streets to achieve Vision Zero and prioritize transportation equity.

MeasureM_MakeLACity.jpg


 

Sample Email

To: councilmember.bonin@lacity.org, paul.koretz@lacity.org

cc: councilmember.huizar@lacity.org, david.ryu@lacity.org, councilmember.martinez@lacity.org, councilmember.harris-dawson@lacity.org

Bcc: lyndsey@la-bike.org

Subj: Use Measure M Local Return to #MakeLACity streets safer for all Angelenos! CF# 16-0395

Dear Honorable Councilmembers,

As a ___________ [e.g. bike rider, pedestrian, transit user, student, parent, etc.], I strongly encourage the City to use Measure M Local Return dollars to prioritize active transportation, safety, and equity.

The City of L.A. will receive about $50 million dollars annually from Measure M local return. I support using local return funds on projects that create safer, more livable streets so that we achieve Vision Zero and ensure that the visionary Mobility Plan 2035 becomes a reality - with a focus on equity that does not leave our most vulnerable residents behind. In deciding how to use Measure M local return funds, the City should consider the following priorities:

  1. Dedicate More Funding to Vision Zero - The City should set aside the majority of its local return to support its Vision Zero work. People walking and biking are at a disproportionate risk of being killed from traffic violence, accounting for 49% of deaths, despite being in only 14% of crashes. Emphasizing active transportation will ensure that the most vulnerable road users are prioritized.

  2. Resume Commitment to Bike Lane Installation - LACBC’s 2015 Bike and Pedestrian Count found that bike lane installation decreased from 101 miles in 2013 to just 11 miles in 2015, and only 25% of high priority bike lanes identified in the Bicycle Plan had been installed since 2010. A portion of local return funds should be used to install the other 75% of high priority bike lanes. The City should also conduct annual manual bicycle and pedestrian counts and/or install automatic counters across the city to track the impact of bike lane installation.

  3. Prioritize Low-Income Communities and Communities of Color - There is a historical and continual lack of investment in low-income communities and communities of color by government agencies who often leave these communities as afterthoughts of their planning practices. Local return dollars and Vision Zero are opportunities to prioritize low-income communities and communities of color that have been historically neglected by street safety projects.

  4. Commit to Data Transparency - Data collection is essential to understanding traffic deaths, prioritizing intervention locations and resources, and holding public agencies accountable. The City must demonstrate its commitment to equity by collecting better data on race/ethnicity and income to allow for more robust health equity analysis and targeted interventions. Potential strategies include: enhancing existing data collection sources and practices, accessing relevant data from alternative sources, and conducting community needs assessments in the High Injury Network neighborhoods.

  5. Promote Meaningful Community Engagement - Foster community dialogues with law enforcement to ensure that resident voices, especially those most disparately targeted by law enforcement (young men of color and transgender people of color) are used to shape Vision Zero's enforcement strategies, using prevention and restorative rather than criminalization approaches.

Please ensure that active transportation, safety, and equity are prioritized in spending Measure M local return dollars.

Sincerely,

[Your name]

[Your address]

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

connect

get updates