(photos by Dale Zapata)
Every year, thousands of Angelenos come to Olvera Street celebrating the birthday of Los Angeles, but our early history stretches far beyond the original pueblo.
The region was originally settled in 1771 when Mission San Gabriel Arcángel was founded along the Whittier Narrows.
A flood washed out the establishment five years later and a new mission was built further upstream.
Governor Felipe de Neve wanted to place a second mission along the Los Angeles River, but King Charles III of Spain instead mandated that a pueblo would be founded to serve as a focal point for commerce and agriculture.
On September 4, 1781, 44 Pobladores set out from the San Gabriel Mission to make the nine mile journey to their new home which was named El Pueblo de la Reina de los Ángeles or The Town of the Queen of the Angels.
The journey of the city’s founders is followed by an annual ride tracing most of the original route.
To give you a preview of the ride, photographer Dale Zapata took pictures along the route highlighting some of the sights:
SAN GABRIEL PLAYHOUSE (SAN GABRIEL MISSION DISTRICT):
SAN GABRIEL MISSION & CEMETERY (SG MISSION DISTRICT):
ALONG THE WAY:
MING YA BUDDHIST FOUNDATION (EL SERENO):
LINCOLN PARK (FORMERLY EASTLAKE, LINCOLN HEIGHTS):
LA COUNTY HOSPITAL / WELLNESS CENTER (MISSION RD & GRIFFIN AVE.):
CESAR CHAVEZ BRIDGE (DTLA):
OLVERA STREET (DTLA):