Sat, Dec 11|
Maywood Riverfront Park
BEST Ride: Maywood Riverfront Park to South Gate Park
Join LA County Bicycle Coalition for this family-friendly ride through Maywood and South Gate along the LA River.
Time & Location
Dec 11, 2021, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Maywood Riverfront Park, 5000 Slauson Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90058, USA
About the event
**RIDE ATTENDANCE WILL BE CAPPED AT 30 PARTICIPANTS TO ENSURE LIMITED ATTENDANCE AND SAFE DISTANCING **
Join LA County Bicycle Coalition for this family-friendly, ride sponsored by Metro’s Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program. The ride will begin in Maywood Riverfront Park and will extend down the Los Angeles River to Rayo Avenue to end at South Gate Park, where families are welcome to take a rest stop and enjoy all the amenities the park has to offer. After the ride, participants can ride back to the start or take Metro transit (bus or train).
Pre-registration and attendance confirmation is required for all participants. Once you are registered, we will send you a waiver and location information to confirm your attendance. If you are attending with other family members, each person must be registered separately in order to attend. Register now to guarantee your spot!
Check out these other class options:
Virtual Classes (English)
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Rod for Group Riding - December 7
- Bike Maintenance: Fix-A-Flat - December 16
In-Person Classes (Limited Attendance)
- Bike Maintenance: Fix-A-Flat - December 21
- BEST Ride: Maywood Riverfront Park to South Gate Park - December 11
Date: Saturday, November 27th
Timeline: 11am - 1pm
Start: Maywood Riverfront Park
End: South Gate Park
Route: Mostly flat, approx. 3.7-mile route on low-traffic city streets.
- Public Transit: Local Metro Buses (Line 260)
- Parking: Free street parking
Experience Level: Beginner / Family-Friendly
What to Bring:
- A functional bicycle or wheeled device (highly recommended with gears)
- Mask or face covering to wear at stops and when not able to social distance
- Hand sanitizer
- TAP card or money for fare if you plan to use the Metro bus or train.
- A helmet is required if under 18
- Bike lights (front white light and red rear light)
- Reflective gear and bright-colored clothing
- Water Bottle (with water)
- Bikes with training wheels are not permitted, but children are welcome to attend if pulled in a trailer or on-bike child seat
*** PLEASE NOTE: All ride participants must sign this waiver to participate. A parent or legal guardian is required to sign for and accompany any minors under 18 participating in the ride. ***
**RAIN POLICY: In the event of a rain forecast, we will contact you 24 hours in advance to confirm or cancel the ride**
We will be observing strict protocols during the ride to ensure safety and comfort for all participants and instructors. The entire ride will be conducted outdoors to maximize physical distancing. Please keep in mind the following rules while attending the ride:
- You must confirm your attendance in advance of the ride so we know to expect you and hold your spot. Every attendee must sign-in and complete a waiver.
- If you are feeling sick or unwell, please stay home. There are many virtual class and self-guided ride options still available.
- Even if you are fully vaccinated, please bring a mask or face covering to wear at ride stops and socially distance from others on the ride not in your household. If you are not yet fully vaccinated, you are still required to wear a mask or face covering outdoors when you cannot keep a safe distance while exercising (at least 8 feet).
- Staff and ride marshals reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who does not follow these protocols (e.g., arrives without prior registration, does not complete waiver, refuses to wear a mask).
This event is made possible by Metro Los Angeles and LACBC.
Metro's Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program currently offers bike classes at 4 different levels—Bicycling 101 and 1, 2, 3. If you are interested in taking classes at the next level or joining a community bike ride, check out the full event calendar. For more info on how to ride a bike in LA County, visit metro.net/gobike.
The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) is a membership-based nonprofit organization that works to make all communities in LA County healthy, safe, and fun places to ride a bike through advocacy, education, and outreach.