Time & Location
Nov 29, 2021, 2:30 PM – 4:00 PM
About the event
Want to go for a ride in your community but unsure how to plan a safe route? The BEST Bicycling 101: Route Planning class, presented by Metro and LA County Bicycle Coalition is a 1.5-hour virtual session (via Zoom) designed to gain the tools to plan routes before your trip and avoid biking in unsafe conditions. The class will be tailored to specific cities, including DTLA, Long Beach, North Hollywood, Pacoima, Walnut Park, etc.
Participants who complete a class feedback survey will be mailed a FREE pre-loaded TAP card and additional Metro-branded goodies (shipping limited to addresses in LA County).
Attendees are encouraged to participate from the comfort and safety of your own homes while we are all doing our part to practice social distancing while staying connected to one another. Once you are registered, we will be sending you information on how to join the class online.
Class size is limited. Pre-registration is required to guarantee a minimum number of participants. Register now to guarantee your spot! Once you are registered, we will send you a confirmation email and more info on how to join the class online.
Check out these other class options:
Virtual Classes (English)
- Bicycling 101: Route Planning - Thursday, November 11
- Bike Maintenance: Flat Repair – Saturday, November 13
- Bike Maintenance: Fix-A-Flat - Tuesday, November 16
- Bicycling 101: Overnight Bike Camping - Thursday, November 18
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road –Tuesday, November 30
- CicLAvia Street Skills: Rules of the Road (South LA ) - Saturday, November 13
- CicLAvia Street Skills: South LA Route Preview Saturday, November 27
- BEST Ride: Pumpkin Patch Palooza (Leimert Park to Shawn’s Pumpkin Patch) - Saturday, November 6
- BEST Ride: Expo Park to Kenneth Hahn Park - Saturday, November 20
- BEST Ride: Maywood Riverfront Park to South Gate Park Saturday, December 11
Who Should Sign-Up:
If you know how to ride a bike, but may be uncomfortable using a bike for everyday travel or recreation. This class covers bike safety basics and route planning with an engaging and interactive presentation.
What You’ll Learn:
- What I Need to Bike: ABC Quick Check / Helmet Fit / Lights / Locks
- Intro to Route Planning: Overview of Safe Routes / Phone Apps and Other Resources
- Biking on City Streets: Rules of the Road / Navigating Common Hazards / Bikes and Transit
- Bike Services / Online Events Offered by Metro and LACBC
Metro's Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program currently offers bike classes at 4 different levels—Bicycling 101 and 1, 2, 3. If you are interested in taking classes at the next level or joining a community bike ride, check out the full event calendar. For more info on how to ride a bike in LA County, visit metro.net/gobike.
The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) is a membership-based nonprofit organization that works to make all communities in LA County healthy, safe, and fun places to ride a bike through advocacy, education, and outreach.