Sat, May 14|
Metro BEST: Ride with the Glendale Mayor
Join Walk Bike Glendale and Mayor Ardy Kassakhian on this celebratory ride, showcasing existing and future improvements in west Glendale.
Time & Location
May 14, 2022, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Glendale, Glendale Narrows Riverwalk, Glendale, CA 91201, USA
About the event
**REGISTRATIONS WILL BE CAPPED AT 50 PEOPLE TO ENSURE COMFORT AND SAFETY OF ALL PARTICIPANTS**
May is Bike Month! Join Walk Bike Glendale, a Local Chapter of LACBC, and Mayor Ardy Kassakhian on this celebratory ride, sponsored by Metro’s Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program, showcasing existing and future improvements in west Glendale.
Improvements include the Glendale Narrows Riverwalk, a dedicated bike path along the LA River on the Glendale side, with plans to connect to the Griffith Park side with an already-funded bridge that will be built in the coming years. The ride will also highlight existing green bike lanes on Sonora, bike lanes on Glenoaks, and a quick recap of the improvements as part of the West Glendale Sustainable Transportation Study along Sonora, Glenoaks, Flower, and Grandview. These future protected bike facilities will help you feel safer getting around the city on two wheels!
Pre-registration and attendance confirmation is required for all participants. Once you are registered, we will send you a waiver and location information to confirm your attendance. If you are attending with other family members, each person must be registered separately in order to attend. Register now to guarantee your spot!
Date: Saturday May 14, 2022
Timeline: 11am - 1 pm
Start: Glendale Narrows Riverwalk
End: Glendale Narrows Riverwalk
Route: Mostly flat with slight inclines, about 4 miles, on moderately trafficked streets.
- Public Transit: walking distance to Metro Bus 96, Glendale Beeline 7
- Parking: Street parking is available at and near the Riverwalk Park
Experience Level: Beginner / Family-Friendly
What to Bring:
- A functional bicycle or wheeled device (highly recommended with gears)
- Mask or face covering to wear at stops and when not able to social distance
- Water Bottle (with water)
- Bikes with training wheels are not permitted, but children are welcome to attend if pulled in a trailer or on-bike child seat
*** PLEASE NOTE: All ride participants must sign this waiver to participate. A parent or legal guardian is required to sign for and accompany any minors under 18 participating in the ride. ***
**RAIN POLICY: In the event of a rain forecast, we will contact you 24 hours in advance to confirm or cancel the ride**
We will be observing strict protocols during the ride to ensure safety and comfort for all participants and instructors. The entire ride will be conducted outdoors to maximize physical distancing. Please keep in mind the following rules while attending the ride:
- You must confirm your attendance in advance of the ride so we know to expect you and hold your spot. Every attendee must sign-in and complete a waiver.
- If you are feeling sick or unwell, please stay home. There are many virtual class and self-guided ride options still available.
- Even if you are fully vaccinated, please bring a mask or face covering to wear at ride stops and socially distance from others on the ride not in your household. If you are not yet fully vaccinated, you are still required to wear a mask or face covering outdoors when you cannot keep a safe distance while exercising (at least 8 feet).
- Staff and ride marshals reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who does not follow these protocols (e.g., arrives without prior registration, does not complete waiver, refuses to wear a mask).
Check out these other Bike Month events:
Virtual Classes (English)
- Bike Maintenance: Fix-A-Flat (May 12)
- Bike Share 101: Safety Basics (May 13)
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road for Night Riding (May 26)
- Bike Share 101: Safety Basics (May 18) - UCLA Bike Week Pit Stop
- Experience the El Monte Emerald Necklace (May 7)
- Walk Bike Glendale Ride with Mayor Kassakhian (May 14)
- Bike Share to the Beach - Santa Monica/Venice (May 14)
- Bike to Work Day Lunch Ride - Chinatown (May 19)
- Green Book History in South LA (May 22)
- E-Bike 101 Ride - El Monte (May 22)
Metro's Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program currently offers bike classes at 4 different levels—Bicycling 101 and 1, 2, 3. If you are interested in taking classes at the next level or joining a community bike ride, check out the full event calendar. For more info on how to ride a bike in LA County, visit metro.net/gobike.
Walk Bike Glendale formed in 2011, and became a Local Chapter of Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) in 2014. We advocate for vibrant and safe places to walk and bike, promote walking and bicycling as fun and sustainable alternatives to driving, educate to increase safety on our streets, and inspire the community to get involved and make a difference.
The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) is a membership-based nonprofit organization that works to make all communities in LA County healthy, safe, and fun places to ride a bike through advocacy, education, and outreach.